Beryl is a combined window manager and compositing manager that runs on top of Xgl or AIGLX using OpenGL to provide effects accelerated by a 3D graphics card on the desktop.
What is the difference between freedesktop.org compiz and beryl?
* Uses flat file backend instead of gconf meaning almost no gnome dependency.
* Needs "beryl-settings", an application to configure settings instead of gconf-editor.
* Has a lot of extra plugins and enhanced features in other plugins.
* Starts with beryl-manager.
* Has a themeable decorator (emerald).
* Has a theme manager (emerald-themer).
* Changes frequently: new features are added on a daily basis.
* Made by a community right here at forum.beryl-project.org, although submissions of extra plugins and enhancements from here to freedesktop would make the compiz better over all.
Friday Squid Blogging: Squid Short Story
Há um dia